Sunday, August 8, 2010

Made in South Africa!





This is one of the most exciting things I've seen lately -- a Swedish (Tor Palm and Mattias Rask) and South African collaboration. Neat-o!

Essentially, the two Swedish design students went to South Africa to find good wood workers, thereby creating more jobs in the country, and also of course designing some really cool stuff. I really like the playfulness and color of this project. It's also great to create more jobs where they are really needed. If I had the time and wherewithal, I would totally love to take classes at the South African Furntech - which offers skill development training in "furniture manufacturing, looking to improve the quality of the south african wood and furniture industry, offering accredited training programmes as well as support / incubation for small and micro enterprises."

I've only picked out two pieces -- one is called "Sideboard" and the other is "Floor lamp" - Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment